We are excited that you've chosen a special piece of Chinchar/Maloney fine jewelry and we want to help you to take care of it properly so that it will last a lifetime and more. Proper care is so important. The following are basic guidelines for keeping you and your jewelry looking good for a lifetime and more:
The type of damage we see most often is a solid gold prong completely bent over, a bent, or out of rounds band or loose setting. What's interesting is that 99% of the time, the person wearing the ring has no idea how the ring was damaged. One would think that you would have to hit your hand pretty hard to have this happen and that you would definitely remember! The reality is our jewelry is taking quite a beating during normal everyday wear as we are really not aware of what we are doing with our hands throughout the day. One theory is that when a ring hits an object hard such as a metal railing or gym equipment, the gold being a soften metal, absorbs the shock and we are totally unaware any damage has taken place.
- Classic Pro Tip: When getting dressed jewelry should be the last thing your put on and the first thing you take off
- Keep your jewelry dry. Safely set your jewelry in a special tray, case or jewelry pouch before bathing, swimming or doing chores. Metals and gemstones can be sensitive to chemicals, perspiration, chlorine, hair products, perfumes and lotions.
- If your lifestyle includes impact sports and activities that include hard labor - never wear your jewelry when doing rough work. While your bling could probably give you one heck of a karate chop, don't risk damaging your work of art...let your jewelry stay home. Gold is softer than iron and steel so take off your rings when handling iron gym equipment like weights, for example. Failure to do so will cause warping of your band over time. All fine jewelry is DELICATE so it's important to treat it gently.
- New Pro Tip: Create a specific home for your Jewelry: Give your jewelry a place that it rests when it's not being worn.
- Store each piece of gemstone/diamond jewelry separately so that harder stones don't scratch softer ones. It will help keep it safe from getting tangled or damaged and you'll always know where to find it. Make it stylish and something that fits your personality. Our signature wooden ring box is a great example.
- Store it away from humidity, moisture or extreme temperatures… so don't put it on top of the oven!
- Almost every gemstone is much harder than the metal it is set in. Gems can scratch the finish on your gold if you throw your jewelry in a heap in a drawer or jewelry box. For your Chinchar/Maloney jewelry it is a good idea to wrap them in a piece of cloth or tissue before putting them in the jewelry box.
Cleaning at home:
- Rings in particular tend to collect dust and soap behind the stone, especially if worn daily.
- To clean diamonds and transparent crystalline gemstones, soak them in water with a smidge of non-detergent, mild soap like Dr. Bronner's unscented soap or Meyer's Clean Day. Finally, rinse and pat dry with a clean soft cloth.
Opals, Moonstone, Labradorite:
- With opals moonstone and labradorite, avoid strong heat and strong light which can dry these gems out over time.
- Cleaning delicate gems like these with some diluted dish soap is fine but do not let them soak.
Professional cleanings are good occasionally. We're happy to do this for free aside from shipping costs. To schedule a cleaning reach out to our customer care team to coordinate.
If it's not us doing the cleaning, please talk to the jeweler who is about the particular gemstone before they use an ultrasonic cleaner.
Regularly inspect your jewelry to make sure the settings and any pavé diamonds are secure. All settings can and do weaken over time. Promptly contact us if you notice any signs of damage or loosening of the prongs and wear of mountings.
It's a good idea to have your jewelry examined at least once a year by Chinchar/Maloney. We do this for a small fee of $85 during which every setting and mounting is checked and tightened. In addition to performing any necessary repair work, we will expertly clean and polish your jewelry at no additional cost. Contact us if you are interested in this service.
Made to order pieces vary from one design to another. With your jewelry delivery we have included specific care instructions that may apply to your specific piece to give you the best tips on how to care for your jewelry for years to come. If you have any questions on how to best clean or alter your piece please reach out to our customer service team and the will be happy to answer whatever questions you may have.